Digital Honors: Logan Goulart

Logan Goulart
Logan Goulart

Logan Goulart is this year’s winner of the John Fraser Ramsey Award, a University-wide Premier Award named in honor of the late University history professor emeritus, recognizes in a junior the versatility of gifts and attainments, as well as the breadth of excellence in mind and character that have traditionally been the goals of a liberal education. Logan, who is from Enterprise, Alabama, is majoring in history and interdisciplinary studies through New College and is minoring in the Blount Scholars Program.

What has been your favorite experience?

My favorite experience at UA thus far has been my involvement in the Huxford Symphony Orchestra. While I have been involved with music for as long as I can remember, coming to UA I was not sure if I was going to be able to continue with music, as I am not a music major or a music minor. However, starting my sophomore year, I auditioned and was accepted into the Huxford Symphony Orchestra, the university’s premier musical ensemble. Under the leadership of Dr. Blake Richardson, Huxford has recently played some amazing yet challenging pieces, like the Rite of Spring, the Planets, and La Mer. It has been such a gift to be able to be a part of this group.

What made you choose UA?

Making the decision to attend UA was actually quite an easy one for me. In January 2017, I interviewed for the Blount Scholars Program, a selective four-year liberal arts program and living-learning community. I was fascinated with the idea of the liberal arts, which since antiquity have been seen as necessary to become a free thinker and citizen. In the Foundations courses, we read thinkers and writers such as St. Augustine, Toni Morrison, Plato, and Margaret Atwood, just to name a few. I ended up being accepted into the program and was also awarded the Presidential Scholarship. After that, the decision was clear.

What advice would you give to incoming students?

Get involved as soon as you can. Being involved on campus has defined my experience here and will make all the difference. Don’t be afraid to stand out and make your first semester count!