UA Student Publishes Book of Poetry to Provide Hope

Brianna Byrd
UA political science student Brianna Byrd

Brianna Byrd never thought she would enter her first year at The University of Alabama as a published poet. But when COVID-19 hit the United States, she felt called to document her thoughts during the pandemic in hopes that they might make others feel less lonely.

“I was inspired to write this collection of poetry because I truly wanted to encourage others during this difficult time,” Byrd said. “As I have seen numerous crises arise and experienced my own, I wanted to make the statement to others that they are not alone. At the same time, I understand the historical significance of this period and wanted to highlight the importance of reflection and creativity.”

Byrd, who has written poetry since middle school, decided to self-publish her poems in a book titled When the World Was Set Ablaze. The book is available for purchase online in both paperback and e-book formats.

While publishing her book, Byrd began her freshman year at the University, where she is majoring in political science. Although she does not know what she wants to pursue after her undergraduate career, she knows that she wants to continue helping others.

“My educational goals as a University of Alabama student are to make the Dean’s or President’s list and make a positive impact in the organizations and activities that I join,” Byrd said. “I’m not exactly certain where I’ll be after undergraduate, but my mission is to take what I learn in communications and political science to help the people of this city and state.”