Digital Honors: Olivia Gevedon

Olivia Gevedon
Olivia Gevedon

Olivia Gevedon is this year’s winner of the Morris Lehman Mayer Award, a University-wide Premier Award that recognizes one faculty member and one member of the graduating class who exemplifies integrity, selfless service, and leadership at UA and in the community, while making significant contributions to student life. A senior from Maineville, Ohio, Olivia is majoring in anthropology with a concentration in health professions and minoring in biology, social innovation and leadership, and global and cultural perspectives.

What has been your favorite experience?

My favorite experience at UA has been NoteABLE, a music education program I established with my good friend Trey in 2018. I received so much support from Honors College and New College faculty, who helped me recruit students, forge partnerships, and find grants. It has been incredibly inspiring to watch our volunteers build relationships with local kids, improve their leadership skills, and share their love for music.

What made you choose UA?

The University Fellows Experience brought me to UA. It was important to me to play an active role in my community and immerse myself in different perspectives while earning my degree. Through UFE, I’ve been able to learn more about the Black Belt region of Alabama and how to create meaningful change.

What advice would you give to incoming students?

Chart your own path. There is not a “right way” to approach your college experience, so take time to explore all the opportunities UA has to offer and don’t be afraid to reevaluate your studies and involvements. You know yourself better than anyone else and will soon discover more facets of your identity, so trust yourself above all else!