Recruiting the Best

From the Winter 2019 Collegian | For Dr. Richmond McClintock, supporting The University of Alabama has always been a family affair. The son of a UA alumnus, McClintock grew up cheering for the Tide and made the trek to Tuscaloosa for both his undergraduate and graduate degrees. His wife Nancy, originally from New York, began saying “Roll Tide” soon after she said “I do.”When he had three daughters, he insisted they all attend UA. Now, the McClintocks are leaving their mark on the University permanently.

Together, they established the Richmond and Nancy McClintock Endowed Professorship in Math, which will help the department of mathematics hire the best faculty members to teach and conduct research at UA.

“I want the University to have the very best teachers that it can have, and this is one way of assuring that happens,” McClintock said. “I hope this will enable the University to get the very best person for mathematics.”

McClintock has been a member of the College of Arts and Sciences Leadership Board since 2010, through which he serves on the academic committee. His time on the Leadership Board reflects his commitment to College of Arts and Sciences’ students and faculty, as he helped award numerous scholarships to students. But none of that would have been possible without the experience he had at UA.

“I just had a great experience as a student,” McClintock said. “The whole time I was at UA was just a blast. And that’s left me with a warm place in my heart for the University. I want everyone to feel the same way that I did.”