Making Connections in Montgomery

UA students at the UA in Montgomery networking event
UA students spent an evening networking with local alumni and city officials in Montgomery on July 8.

In partnership with the UA Blackburn Institute and Montgomery Chamber of Commerce, the UA Career Center hosted an empowering networking opportunity last month for current students and alumni on their legendary career paths to Montgomery.

The UA Career Center has hosted similar networking events in the past, including trips to Houston, Washington D.C., Dallas, and Los Angeles. Students are encouraged to visit Handshake for more information regarding upcoming events and workshops with potential employers. The Career Center provides a variety of additional resources to assist students and alumni with self-assessment, career exploration, and job search strategies.

The “UA in Montgomery” event on July 8 offered an evening of networking and discussions with local industry professionals. A panel of local alumni and city officials took questions about living and working in Montgomery. A total of 65 faculty and staff, alumni, and students attended, including Marcella Martinez, a junior double majoring in political science and economics. As a member of the 2021 New Student Class of the Blackburn Institute, Martinez aspires to work in public policy.

“I had never thought about living in Montgomery before,” explained Martinez. “I decided to attend because I want to start thinking more of where I will live and what I will end up doing as my career. This event was the perfect opportunity to hear from different panelists about their jobs and how it is to live in Montgomery from an insider’s perspective.”

Alabama State Capitol Building
The Alabama State Capitol in Montgomery

On top of networking, the Montgomery Chamber sponsored a tour, showcasing the city’s history and new development, Montgomery Whitewater. Montgomery Mayor Steven L. Reed joined the panel to discuss the city’s attractions and expectations, as well as network with the students.

“I think that it is amazing that the University is hosting and encouraging students to attend events such as this one. It is easy to get lost in our community and not explore what the rest of Alabama has to offer,” said Martinez.  “I would definitely encourage students to take advantage of what the Career Center has to offer. Sometimes all you need is a business card to get started.”

For students in the College of Arts and Sciences, Experiential Learning Services is also dedicated to providing career preparation and other development opportunities outside of the classroom.