Sydney Noordsy ’21, English

Sydney Noordsy
Sydney Noordsy

Sydney Noordsy is a senior English major and interdisciplinary linguistics minor on the pre-law track. A native of Brookings, SD, Noordsy plans to attend law school with the goal of becoming a constitutional and family attorney.

How did you choose your major? What sparked your interest in the field?

I chose English because you can do virtually anything as a pre-law student, so I decided to major in what I love. I’m an avid reader and writer, and the English department at Alabama is unmatched in its excellence, so I knew I’d get an incredible education to prepare me for my law school career. As an English major at Bama, I get to study a wide range of literary and linguistic studies with brilliant professors.

What do you like about studying English at UA?

I love the wide range of courses offered in the English program. I’ve taken everything from American literature to bookbinding and design. I learned to write across all different types of media, and I’m currently taking a world lit class modeled after the Nobel Prize committee. The English department here is full of innovators who not only love to research and study English but who also truly love to teach it.

What are your career goals? What about your dream job?

I hope to become a constitutional and family attorney in Alabama, and eventually work my way up to judge. I’ll be attending The University of Alabama School of Law next fall to take the next step toward that goal, but my absolute dream is to be a United States Supreme Court justice.

Talk about any career-related experiences you’ve had. How did you find these opportunities?

I worked as an ESL tutor as a freshman and sophomore to get tangible experience in the linguistics field and as an immersive Spanish learning experience. I worked mostly with the children of Guatemalan immigrants or children that had immigrated themselves, and it was one of my most valuable experiences during my time at the University, academically, professionally, and personally. This job was actually recommended by a linguistics professor, which just goes to show how important and productive relationships with faculty can be at Alabama.

Tell us about your experience working with the community.

I’ve worked with the community in multiple capacities through my sorority’s philanthropies. We’ve tutored and mentored lower-income kids and teenagers, as well as teen parents and residents of the juvenile corrections facility. Tuscaloosa and Northport are such diverse communities, and it’s been so important to me to step outside the bubble of the University and take advantage of opportunities to serve and learn from the city around me.

What surprised you the most about college?

The most surprising thing about college for me was just how many different organizations and opportunities there are on this campus. Alabama truly has everything to offer if you take advantage of all its resources.

How did you make friends and find community on campus?

I made most of my closest friends through organizations on campus, mainly my sorority and A&S Ambassadors. I can’t stress enough the importance of getting involved, both for the benefit of your resume and for your personal life and experiences during your four years here.

What advice do you have for future students?

Make the absolute most of your time here. In my opinion, The University of Alabama is the best in the nation, and it will give back what you put into it tenfold. These four years will fly by, trust me, so go to class, join that club, go on an 11 p.m. Whataburger run. These really are the best years of your life, so don’t take a single second for granted.