College News

Theodora Bishop

Award-winning writer Theodora Bishop has written in a vast range of genres and types of prose.

Only 28 years old, Theodora Bishop is a Best New Poet and Pushcart Prize nominee; she has been published in more than two dozen online and print journals and magazines; and early this year she published her first novella, On the Rocks, with Texas Review Press.

“Theodora is a force of nature, impressive at any age,” said Kellie Wells, director of the UA creative writing program. “But what makes her especially remarkable is that she has published quite a lot and in several genres.”

While Theodora came to UA to focus on poetry, she now writes across genres spanning from long-form fiction to prose—and she even experiments with fairy tales and fantasy fiction.

The cover of Bishop's first novella, On The Rocks.
The cover of Bishop’s first novella, On The Rocks.

“Writing in more than one genre allows me two very different ways to communicate,” Bishop said. “I always have more than one project going on across genres. Ping-ponging between deep, concentrated work in each allows me to usually wrap up these projects around the same time and move on to a new batch.”

As a writer with a thorough creative process, Theodora often finds unifying shared human experiences, such as feeling embarrassment or pride, to be the pulse of her writing process. Just months after publishing her first novella, Theodora is already hard at work on two other publications.

“I want to write as often as possible,” Bishop said. “If I can find a sweet pot in whatever form or genre I’m working in, I’m happy.”