In accordance with University policy, all allegations of academic misconduct should be reported immediately upon discovery. The Dean’s Office should receive a completed academic misconduct submission no later than three weeks from the date the alleged misconduct occurred. Delays in submitting the completed packet to the Dean’s Office can result in automatic dismissal of the case. Be aware of the following:
- Retain email communications between instructor and students at least until the end of the semester, if not longer.
- Do not confront the student about your suspicions, do not accuse them of academic misconduct or state to them that you believe they cheated or plagiarized. If the student asks about the assignment, use the following language; “There is a question about your paper/assignment. I have forwarded it to the Dean’s Office, and they will contact you.”
Completed packets should be submitted electronically using the Academic Misconduct Reporting Form.
College of Arts and Sciences Best Practices
The academic misconduct packet must include the following:
- The assignment in question, with the problematic areas highlighted
- The assignment prompt or any directions given to the students about the assignment
- In the case of plagiarism, include the plagiarized material.
- From a website: Print out the material, include the web address (URL), and highlight the relevant material pertaining to the assignment. Label each printed website source (Source 1, Source 2, etc.) on the assignment and on the plagiarized source itself.
- From another student’s paper: Provide copies of both students’ papers and highlight plagiarized material in both papers.
- Other evidence: video, screenshots, note cards used for test, scrap paper, emails (if applicable), etc.
- If evidence is a video and cannot be added to the form, then it must be uploaded to UA Box and firstname.lastname@example.org must be added as a viewer.
- Turnitin report from the assignment, if available, for all students involved
- The course syllabus
- If anyone besides the instructor of record for the course is submitting the case, then the instructor of record must be listed under the involved parties.
- Always allow seven (7) days for an appeal after a ruling before updating any grades, unless otherwise instructed by the Dean’s Office.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com or 205-348-7007.