The College is currently working with three universities in Ghana, including the University of Ghana, the University of Cape Coast, and Central University to establish collaborative research and exchange programs for faculty and students.
For these initiatives, faculty with similar interests are paired for exchange programs, to facilitate international research publications and externally funded research projects.
In 2019, the University of Cape Coast hosted the inaugural symposium in collaboration with The University of Alabama, USA, along with the University of Ghana and Central University, Ghana. The symposium was intended to foster international partnerships for research and policy formulation in the area of social determinants health. It offered opportunities for stakeholders to discuss topical issues in healthcare delivery, such as healthcare delivery and quality of care, medical child health disease management and mental health, coping and stigma related to chronic disease, education and practices, and translational research from bench to practice and policy. It also explored common themes between Alabama and Ghana, including an exploration memory and the history of the slave trade.
2020 Virtual Symposium
The second joint symposium will be held virtually on September 22-24 to further examine outcomes from the initial faculty partnerships. The symposium will be live-streamed each day on YouTube.
- UA/Stillman/Ghana University Partners Virtual Symposium Itinerary (CDT)
- UA/Stillman/Ghana University Partners Virtual Symposium Itinerary (GMT)
- Virtual Symposium Abstracts (PDF)
- Virtual Symposium Speaker Biographies (PDF)
- Lisa Pawloski, Professor of Anthropology and Associate Dean for International Programs, College of Arts and Sciences
- Seth Appiah-Opoku, Professor of Geography and Director of UA-Ghana Service-Learning Program
- Pamela Young, Director of Community Engagement and Economic Development, College of Arts and Sciences
- Thaddeus Ulzen, Associate Dean, College of Community Health Sciences (CCHS); Professor and Chairman in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, University of Alabama School of Medicine
- Nathan Culmer, Director of Educational Technology and Continuing Education, College of Community Health Sciences
- Shameka Cody, Assistant Professor, Capstone College of Nursing
- Jenny Shaw, Associate Professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Stephanie McClure, Assistant Professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Debra Nelson-Gardell, Associate Professor and Coordinator of International Initiatives, School of Social Work
- Hilary Green, Associate Professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Holger Albrecht, Associate Professor, Director of Graduate Studies, College of Arts and Sciences
- Mary Ann Kelley, Assistant Professor, Capstone College of Nursing
- Pamela Payne Foster, Professor, College of Community Health Sciences
- Sara-Maria Sorentino, Assistant Professor, College of Arts and Sciences