A Love of Art and Science

University of Alabama alumnus Bill Jackson and his wife, Barbara, recently gave back to the Capstone by establishing the William P. Jackson Jr. and Barbara Seignious Jackson Endowed Scholarship in Arts and Sciences. This new scholarship is for students who are members of the Million Dollar Band and pursuing a major in physics. This specific niche of student pays homage to Mr. Jackson’s experience here at UA.

“I’d like to encourage people in the sciences to play in the Million Dollar Band,” Jackson said.

Mr. Jackson grew up in Tuscaloosa, and after graduating from Tuscaloosa High School, went on to pursue his undergraduate degree and law degree here at The University of Alabama. While at UA, he played the French horn in the Million Dollar Band and studied within the College of Arts and Sciences to earn an undergraduate degree in physics. He was also a charter member of The University of Alabama Amateur Radio Club and still holds the call sign K4AJG.  Now living in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, it is clear that the Capstone will always play a large role in Jackson’s life.

“I received the Presidential Scholarship when I studied here, and I feel a debt of gratitude for the excellent education I was able to get at The University of Alabama,” he said.

Bill and Barbara Jackson also serve as involved alumni who are members of the College of Arts and Sciences Leadership Board, Friends of the Million Dollar Band, and the Yea Alabama Society. This scholarship is yet another way they give back to UA, and invest in students’ futures.

“I grew up in Tuscaloosa near the campus, and the University has always had a major impact on my life. The old Verner School, which I attended beginning in the first grade, was just across the street from the University, and we had the benefit of student teachers in every grade through high school, including members of the Million Dollar Band who demonstrated their instruments for us.”

The William P. Jackson Jr. and Barbara Seignious Jackson Endowed Scholarship in Arts and Sciences will be awarded to its first recipient in the coming months.